DATES AND TIMINGS
This training will take place on Zoom and over four half days (10.00 -12.30) and you need to attend all sessions of the same course. We will send out the Zoom link with the joining instructions before the first session. All sessions will include case studies, practical tools, and opportunities to share and network. There will be with take-home exercises between each session.
Session 1: Understanding the sector and trusteeship | Wednesday 5 October (10.00 until 12.30)
Session 2: Defining good governance | Wednesday 19 October (10.00 until 12.30)
Session 3: Governance in practice | Wednesday 2 November (10.00 until 12.30)
Session 4: Skills and values for the governance professional | Wednesday 16 November (10.00 until 12.30)
The four sessions will focus on:
1. What we know – sector context, the role of the board, and the law
2. What we do – good governance, decision-making, and continuous improvement
3. How we work – governance practice, reporting, regulation
4. Who we are – the role of the governance professional, influencing, competencies
By the end of the programme you will;
- understand the role and responsibilities of trustees, as well as the legal frameworks that they must adhere to
- understand how administrative systems and processes underpin the principles of good governance
- have defined and explored the role and responsibilities of the board secretary
- be able to consider how to build the foundations of effective governance through a number of methods – from agendas, reporting and minute taking, a cycle of business, a scheme of delegates authority and a register of interests
- explore the different approaches to board review and understand its benefits
- discuss governance as leadership within an organisation
- discuss how you will influence and promote positive behaviours
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
Anyone who supports
trustees – board administrators, board secretaries and executive assistants.
This course will offer a strong introduction to the role of board secretary including the principles of effective administration and good governance. We will discuss how to establish effective processes and systems to support your board.
If you are a trustee, we have training courses on charity trustee induction and refresher course
and financial intelligence for trustees
We also have an eLearning course
on the roles and duties of trustees
which you can complete at own pace, at a time that suits you.
WHO RUNS IT?
Sally Stephens joined NCVO in October 2021 as a consultant specialising in governance. Prior to joining NCVO Sally worked as the head of governance support for Leeds University Union, managing the day-to-day governance administration function and delivering training for trustees, as well as managing the development and implementation of the organisation strategy. Sally is an experienced project manager with diverse involvement in supporting board-led initiatives across governance, strategy, and creating social impact outcomes. She also has personal experience as a trustee, primarily working with small and medium community arts charities.
WOULD YOU LIKE TO RUN THIS TRAINING FOR YOUR ORGANISATION?
All of our training courses can be delivered online at a time and date that suits you. We can work with you to tailor our courses to match your needs. For more information please complete our online contact form