DATES AND TIMINGS
This training will take place on Zoom and over four half days (10.00 -12.30) and you need to attend all sessions of the same course. We will send out the Zoom link with the joining instructions before the first session. All sessions will include case studies, practical tools, and opportunities to share and network. There will be with take-home exercises between each session.
Session 1: Understanding the sector and trusteeship | Wednesday 5 October (10.00 until 12.30)
Session 2: Defining good governance | Wednesday 19 October (10.00 until 12.30)
Session 3: Governance in practice | Wednesday 2 November (10.00 until 12.30)
Session 4: Skills and values for the governance professional | Wednesday 16 November (10.00 until 12.30)
The four sessions will focus on:
1. What we know – sector context, the role of the board, and the law
2. What we do – good governance, decision-making, and continuous improvement
3. How we work – governance practice, reporting, regulation
4. Who we are – the role of the governance professional, influencing, competencies
By the end of the programme you will;
- understand the role and responsibilities of trustees, as well as the legal frameworks that they must adhere to
- understand how administrative systems and processes underpin the principles of good governance
- have defined and explored the role and responsibilities of the board secretary
- be able to evaluate how effective your recruitment and induction procedures are
- be able to consider how to build the foundations of effective governance through a number of methods – from agendas, reporting and minute taking, a cycle of business, a scheme of delegates authority and a register of interests
- explore the different approaches to board review and understand its benefits
- discuss governance as leadership within an organisation
- discuss how you will influence and promote positive behaviours
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
Anyone who supports trustees – board administrators, board secretaries and executive assistants.
This course will offer a strong introduction to the role of board secretary including the principles of effective administration and good governance. We will discuss how to establish effective processes and systems to support your board.
WHO RUNS IT?